Welcome to my blog!
If you don't want to miss a thing - sign up for free posts & see my new paintings hot off the easel by entering your email address ( box in the right hand column).
Thanks for visiting!

Friday, 18 February 2011

1416 Hot Reflections

6" x 8" oil on panel,unframed

This one I painted at my class last night, enjoyed painting it. I like the fact that we sketch out the composition first on a seperate piece of paper before starting on the painting itself. Should get into the practice at home too.

I was contacted by one of those art galleries at the week-end, where you pay a fee of $20 a day to the gallery to display your paintings there plus 40% commission on sales on top, by the time I have spent money on framing and the postage to the States from here, it could turn out to be a very expensive experiment so I think I will pass on that 'opportunity'

5 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Mornin' Diana, lovely one you have here. I've never heard of a gallery charging to show your work. Taking a commission on sales, yes, but never to show. I'd be leary of those places. Would much rather set up a canopy in the park on a Sunday and show my own work while working on a plein air piece. The only overhead is the canopy.

SKIZO said...

Wonderful
work
thank you for sharing

sam said...

Beautiful job Diana, love the reflections. I have the same opinion as Carol, and I often get requests to show my work in galleries that require me to pay upfront costs to fund marketing hanging etc stretching into hundreds of dollars. They also take a big cut of the sale price. I have never bothered. As for the other galleries that ask for 10/20 pound to show its usually because they havent got a good client base. They are trying to cover some of their costs as theyre not confident they will sell.
Thats my opinion of course!

Kay said...

I love the reflection of the pepper.
we call those galleries vanity galleries. Kind of like vanity publishers. They sound fishy to me too. I would worry about their business practice and insuring that my paintings were taken care of. I think the canopy in the park sounds terrific!! We can pay a vendors fee and sell at farmers markets here. I haven't yet.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This is beautifully painted, Diana. The colors and substance of the silver pitcher, and that wonderful red reflection from the pepper really make this a fantastic, solid piece!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...