Welcome to my blog!
If you don't want to miss a thing - sign up for free posts & see my new paintings hot off the easel by entering your email address ( box in the right hand column).
Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, 4 August 2010

1336 Ready to Sail


6" x 8" oil on panel

I have been working on a larger one, a landscape which I started using acrylic paint, got so fed up with the paint that I switched back to oils with relief. You can paint over acrylics with oils but not vice versa. It was so nice to be able to blend the paint and not have colour shifts, acrylics dry darker in hue, which is really irritating plus they dry really fast too.
I have just bought some Griffen Alkyd oil paints from Winsor & Newton  to try out and they dry really fast too but not as fast as acrylic paint and I have to say I am liking them a lot.
So I did this small one yesterday and gave the landscape a rest, but was too late to photograph it. The painting was a bit fiddly probably too complicated a subject for such a small format and a palette knife, still I persevered!

6 comments:

suzanneberry said...

Beautiful, so colorfully alive with movement! I'm so glad you persevered! Great work on a small canvas!

Carol Blackburn said...

Very lively, Diana. Is there a cat sleeping on the bow somewhere?

Vicky said...

I LOVE the colors and the movement of the water! This has been a nice series.

Nancy Laliberte said...

Hi Diana,
Beautiful work and blog! Have a great painting day!

sam said...

Very vivid scene Diana, nice and colourful. I too have thought about the alkyd oils. Acrylic paints are too fast for me I cant get used to them--how fast are the oils?

Katharina said...

Wow, I really love this one. I find the reflections quite captivating. The colours are bold, but not too much so, and I like the combination of the warm and cold colours, they work together perfectly. Well done! =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...