Welcome to my blog!
If you don't want to miss a thing - sign up for free posts & see my new paintings hot off the easel by entering your email address ( box in the right hand column).
Thanks for visiting!

Monday, 5 October 2009

1276 'Colour Play'


12" x 16" mixed media on 3/4" thick birch plywood

I had a sheet of birch ply cut for me to use for abstracts a surface to which I can hammer in nails and generally abuse! After sanding and 4 coats of gesso they were ready, it was a really nice surface to work on and apart from the weight an excellent substitute for boards and canvas.
I have painted the sides black so it will be optional to frame, I have used many different metalic paints and inks on a textured surface, using different techniques from dripping to dry brushing I finished it off with 3 small mosaic tiles towards the center, it was fun to do if very messy!

2 comments:

Avocaken said...

Hi Diana - Thanks for taking a look at my blog. I've not used "wood" panels although I tried a couple of times. The grain bothered me. I suppose that I need to use "best" quality wood?

I like your abstracts very much esp the hauntingly beautiful "From the Depths". I agree that abstracts aren't something that can be taught - it comes from within. I just can't let go enough! :-)

Enjoy Seattle - I lived there (Ballard) 30 yrs before retiring to Arkansas. Mostly miss the eateries, esp a fastfood burrito chain Taco del Mar. Yummy burritos that I can't find here. :-( Doc says not having those burritos is a good thing. BAH HUMBUG.

Ken B.

suzanneberry said...

Diana, thank you so much for the tip! It seems so obvious but it never occurred to me! I'll definitely give it a try. Your work is simply stunning, I love your blog! thanks for stopping by! best, suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...