Welcome to my blog!
If you don't want to miss a thing - sign up for free posts & see my new paintings hot off the easel by entering your email address ( box in the right hand column).
Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, 13 October 2009

1281 'City Rooftops'

12" x 12" mixed media on board

This is this months painting for DSFDF of San Francisco rooftops.

I painted this with acrylics on a board that I had first prepared with molding paste to give it some texture. I decided to heighten the colours as the original ref. photo was rather bland. I played around with the photo, cropping it in loads of different ways until I came up with this composition. I enjoyed (for once) how quickly acrylic paint dries so that I could put layer upon layer until I had the effect that I liked.

11 comments:

Gwen Bell said...

Congratulations on a fine job on this difficult challenge! The texture is great and I like the way you've cropped it and given it a warm glow.

sam said...

I love this Diana! The texture really adds to the image. I really like your colours, very subtle and blue and yellow are my favourite combinations)

Vicky said...

Mmmmmm, I DO like the texture in this one!

Claire said...

You picked a really nice crop of the photo, and your painting is gorgeous!

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

Great job Diana...I like this too!

Mark Bridges said...

Hi Diana, Nice look to the challenge. Feels like a sooty city.

dominique eichi said...

I love your challenge. The colors are perfect with the texture.

Rosemary said...

Creative crop, pleasing palette and fabulous texture! Love what you did with this difficult challenge! Congratulations!

Pat Koscienski said...

I really like your use of texture. It realy gives soul to the buildings' surfaces.

Debbie said...

Wonderful painting!

Ann Rogers said...

Great colors and just the right amount of detail.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...