Welcome to my blog!
If you don't want to miss a thing - sign up for free posts & see my new paintings hot off the easel by entering your email address ( box in the right hand column).
Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, 13 August 2009

1260 'Spanish Couple' Commission


9" x 12" oil on canvas board

This double portrait I did from a very small digital photo, which made it very hard. In the original photo the background was jumbled and uninteresting, at first I painted in a plain background which I wasn't happy with and I was rather stumped as to know how to handle the problem so I got advice from Susan (Carlin) and she suggested putting in an abstract landscape. I found this landscape photo of Lleida in Spain where the couple are from and painted it in loosely in the background, it was at first too bright so I glazed over it with Liquin and a mixed grey which toned it down a bit so that the couple were brought forward. I have laboured over this painting for a couple of weeks now, so I am glad that it is finally finished!



6 comments:

Gary Keimig said...

very nice Diane.
You are doing some really great pieces. Must be that trip to the states.

PainterLee said...

I love the way you did her skin! Sooooo life-like! And the background is perfect! Bet they love it!

Susan Carlin said...

I just know this couple will treasure your portrait of them for years and years to come!

Liza said...

This turned out really well, considering the source image was so small, I think you did an absolutely brilliant job! Love the background. xxx

sam said...

lovely portrait the colours are great:)

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

Yeah! I know that feeling of finishing a difficult portrait and you handled this very well...nice job Diana!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...