Welcome to my blog!
If you don't want to miss a thing - sign up for free posts & see my new paintings hot off the easel by entering your email address ( box in the right hand column).
Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, 21 July 2009

1254 'Waiting'



8" x 11" acrylic on masonite $140 + shipping

This little girl sitting so still at the park with her Mum standing behind caught my eye at a recent visit to our local park, I was trying to figure out what she must have been thinking sitting there, I liked her shades and the interesting shadows on her seat.
I got really frustrated with my new liquitex acrylics, after painting so long with oils they are so different to paint with, they seemed to instantly dry the moment my brush hit the board and then the paint dries darker , which makes getting values right really difficult and blending was impossible too. I used to only paint with acrylics and I don't remember it being this hard!

10 comments:

LSaeta said...

Diana,
Thanks so much for the nice comment on my blog. And yes ... I am on cloud nine!
Your paintings are lovely! I really like this one and you are so right about the expression on the girl's face - you captured it perfectly! Congrats!

Vern Schwarz said...

Really nice job on the little gal Diana. I haven't touched my acrylics since last fall, and for all the reasons that you stated. One day I may get back to them.

Lauren Maurer said...

Wow! I came over to comment on your DSDF painting- but this one is GREAT! Love those shadows!

dave said...

some really good paintings here especially this last one, an interesting composition

Angela Elledge said...

Hello Diana-This is lovely, I especially like the cast shadow on the back of the little girl and her shoe. Very well done!

I am not a fan of acrylics because I find it so awkward and I am in awe of artists who have the ability to master, what I think is a difficult medium. On my blog, several posts back, I did a huge acrylic project (Starry Night) with my students and we used Golden Open Acrylics. We all enjoyed working with the open acrylics very much, perhaps you'd like to try them, as well.

Susan Carlin said...

Oh, Diana. I feel your pain. My own efforts with acrylics were just as painful. You managed to paint a wondeful painting in spite of your struggle with the medium, though. Love the perspective and the composition especially. Thank you, always, for your loving comments on my blog.

Gwen Bell said...

Oh Diana, this is so touching. The girls body language is so great. You did such a great job on this...an in Acrylic! How do you manage to get this great bump of color with them? You are a wonderful painter!

Arti said...

The little girl looks perfect...acrylics demand speed and precision!It us a tough medium but instantly gratifying too:)

Carol Schiff Studio said...

Diana, Figures are your thing! The shadows are a painting in themself. Bravo!

Sharon Wright said...

Wonderful painting, love those shadows. And ditto everything you say about acrylics, I had the same problems,after using oils, but can't make up my mind which I prefer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...